1. Stone Management
In cooperation with my old friend Paul Shand, we are providing consulting services for commercial projects, bringing to the table our combined 62 years of experience..
Owner's Rep services include;
1) pre-project coordination with owners and architects to adhere to requirements, and assist in value engineering.
2) A schedule of work and oversight is established, and the owner is kept aware on all stages of the project.
3) Assembling project-specific teams ensures a successful outcome
4) Provide material testing protocol to assume species of stone fits job requirements.
5) Supplier Interface – work with factories on production scheduling, sampling, quality control, scheduling, packing and delivery issues.
a. Factory interface - Stone may be great for any project, but not every stone is right for every application. We can assist from recommending just the right materials, prior to specification, which insures a good match to their intended use to the inspection of cut-to-size work, at the factory prior to shipping, to assure quality before it arrives at the job site.
6) Track and monitor project costs, progress, and quality.
b. Engineering interface – shop drawings and stone tickets, installation and anchor issues, value engineering.
c. Architect Interface – range sample approval, plant & quarry visit, mock ups, installation and maintenance specs.
7) Progress inspections, with reports on deliveries, quality, measurements to tickets and installation update
8) Inventory of stone on site along with any redo’s, repairs or rejected materials, enabling best coordination with supplier.
9) Post project protocols;
a. advising on the selection of a sealer and other chemicals
b. writing protocols for the application of sealers, repair of chips, cracks, spauling and stains, fabrication and replacement of irreparable pieces and honing/resurfacing in select areas
c. develop Slip & Fall Prevention strategies, including measure and maintain Coefficient of Friction (COF) to determine the potential for slippage, address the causes of slips in a preventative way and create and maintain an Incidence Response and Post Incident Reporting System.
d. preparation of an attic stock strategy along with assisting in the selection of material and development of a protocol to match replacement pieces to the originals.
Do you have a landmark project whose legacy you want to preserve? Talk to us about how we can help.
2. Material Selection
Stone may be great for any project, but not every stone is right for every applicaton. We can bring decades of experience to your project;
- from recommending just the right materials, prior to specification, which insures a good match to their intended use,
- to the inspection of cut-to-size work, at the factory prior to shipping, to assure quality before it arrives at the job site. (Photos; left is Chris inspecting Costa Rose in China, on right, Paul & Chris at Lasa Marmo quarry in Italy)
Every great stone project begins with specifying the right material. And the thousands of steps in between require hiring the right people to oversee them. Call on us early in the project when we can offer the most advantage.
3. Field Market Surveys
On a number of occasions, we have assisted in
the development of new materials by performing Field Market Surveys. Among other results, these assess the market potential and target pricing of possible
candidate marbles or granites.
As an example, a Canadian mining company asked us to perform a Field Market Survey to help them determine a “go/no go” investment decision regarding a newly found
granite in northern Quebec (see photo at left). Our survey of key players throughout the industry, and a review of similar materials already on the market, was followed by a suggested marketing
and distribution strategy. In this particular case, the material was not unique enough, nor did it contain a trendy color pallet to earn a high sell price. The forecast revenue from our analysis therefore was not enough to justify their investment to exploit the reserve, so the mining company did not go forward with the project.
But there are new materials we have helped bring to the market. Do you have a deposit your are considering exploiting?
4. Project Management
Our partners have started businesses, launched products, and managed a hundred other projects, all the while honing our skills at responding to complex changing business environments.
We just wrapped up an assignment as project manager on a construction project in Manhattan. We were hired mid-project because relations between key parties had broken down and the timeline was falling apart. In the end, we were able to get the parties talking and established procedures to restart the timeline and finish the job. Click here to see some of the components to Construction Project Management.
Adept at the latest techniques and interactive online tools, we can help you achieve your goals. Construction Project Management, involves applying systems techniques to complex processes and fostering communication so that all stakeholders can collaborate to achieve success while completing on time and on budget.
5. Creating winning Business Plans
We recently finished a valuation of a quarry in Nova Scotia and its marble inventory in preparation of its sale, by assessing both quality and quantity of the material on the ground. In addition, assuming that the business would be more valuable with a better business strategy than the previous operators employed, we produced a Business Plan going forward to achieve measurably improved results for the next owner.
Over the years, we've written a number of marketing plans which
led to the creation of several businesses, including the Marketing Portion of “NF&L
Dimensional Stone Industry: Strategic Planning Document”, which
ultimately contributed to the creation of Epoch Rock Inc.
How can we help you?
6. Other Consulting Services
For additional consulting services, please check out our sister firm - THE LINLEY COMPANY.